Thanks to everyone for the flood of well wishes and offers of help and support. You OBRA folks are the best. And a special thanks to the Murrays, as their usual parental calm and support were the rudder of the night.

Kristin is sedated and her breathing is being assisted with a tube. She has a some slight bleeding in her brain and a shattered collarbone, along with the attendant rash all over. We won’t know more until the morning when the neuro gets a better look at more CAT scans. What we do know is that she’s tough as nails. Please continue with your good thoughts folks, thank you very much.

Also – we’re leading the first laps of the 3/4 race tomorrow  as a team. Out of respect for her.

UPDATE: Some encouraging signs through the night! She was allowed to wake up and she has communicated with Clint and  the nurses. Very good signs. Keep the positive flow coming, people.

UPDATE  #2 – I’ve just returned from the ICU and seeing Kristin. She’s off the breathing tube, and she’s mostly conscious. Apparently when she came to last night she  asked to see Clint, who was summoned around midnight to go back to the hospital and see her. They removed her breathing tube and did not continue the heavy sedation. She  was then asked by the nurse if she remembered what happened and our Kmac, true to form and now dubbed “Real Deal” for her gnarly Holyfield-esque ear injury, said “I crashed. And I was gonna win, too.” Kinda brings a tear to your eye, doesn’t it?

So, the GREAT news is she looks to be on track for recovery. The brain injury and bleeding is still to be monitored in the ICU for another day or  so, and  then maybe another day or so of observation before she gets to go home. These things are tricky andwe’re not 100% out of the woods yet, but today is very encouraging. We will post her room number once she gets one for get well wishes. The bad news is that the whack to t he noggin, along with the shattered collarbone and other attendant injuries will result in a long, arduous recovery process already underway. There are possible surgeries looming to fix some things.

The WORSE news (typical bike dorks) is that her tasty Marin is shot. Gone. Kaput. Wheelset is kinda done for, too. So with the gracious help of Mark Duff of Veloforma we’re going to be chipping in for a specially priced “comeback kid” bike so she’ll have a sleek new weapon to ride when she’s medically cleared to  do so. Check back for a paypal site to throw a buck or two in if you are so inclined.

Lastly, Kristin was very touched to hear of  all of the support from all of you, the OBRA community. I second the emotion. Things like this add perspective  to just how silly this thing we do is and how inherently dangerous it is and how crazy we must be for doing it, but it also illustrates the familial bond we all share, regardless of what kit we wear when the numbers are pinned on. We thank you.

We’ll keep you updated as events warrant, and we’ll see you all tonight.

Some lighthearted bit;

1. She was, with a somewhat comical degree of difficulty, able to  remove her contact lenses.

2. She feebly asked when told of the plate-and-screw collarbone surgery “Will I be able to get through airport security?”

3. We were joking about things she didn’t remember from last night (removal of breathing tube, etc) and someone quipped, “you were smoking hella weed in here and got in trouble!” Eyes closed, a smile crossed her face and she said “wassup!”

UPDATE 3 – They’re moving Kristin into her own room today and out of the ICU! The doctors are pretty much floored at the rate of recovery, but warn it’s still a long road ahead. Keep up that good mojo folks.

Here’s a few pics from last night. I did get one of her in the ICU giving the double thumbs up, but my phone is a f*&^%ing cryptic thing and I can’t figure out how to post the damn thing.

fall-night

The helmet and sunglasses are no longer with us, the person wearing them IS

fall-night-2

Here’s Deann (L) and Kristin (R) a few laps before the poop hit the fan

59 Responses to “Kristin McCarthy update – YET ANOTHER UPDATE. TUESDAY EVENING – now with High Def pics!”

1. Sallyanne June 1, 2009 at 10:37 PM # Reply

My thoughts are with Kristin, her family, Clint and her team. I know we’ll see her in the familiar black kit soon enough, kickin ass like she does! Please keep us updated and if she needs anything (like that cute dog walked), let me know. Thanks.

2. juan c June 2, 2009 at 6:45 AM # Reply

We are all thinking of Kristin, and the team. Healing thoughts coming her way.

3. Ryan Van Dusen June 2, 2009 at 6:58 AM # Reply

My thoughts are with her and her family! This is not what I was expecting to read this morning. At least she has a good team behind her let meus know if you guys need anything.

Heal fast Kristin!

4. Lindsay June 2, 2009 at 7:13 AM # Reply

Sending lots of prayers her way…let the HV gals know if your team or Kristin’s household needs anything.

5. MitchGold/Portland Velo June 2, 2009 at 7:16 AM # Reply

A terrible sight to see last night. Wishing Kristin a speedy recovery.

6. Candi June 2, 2009 at 7:19 AM # Reply

If I could come back as a younger racer I would want to join Ironclad/Beer. We are all family.
    Anything we can do, just ask.

7. lisa g June 2, 2009 at 7:25 AM # Reply

I think a geriatric division (for me and Candi and whom ever else) of IC/Beer is in need.
    Fiona and I are sending positive thoughts to Kristen!!

8. Serena June 2, 2009 at 7:56 AM # Reply

Sending positive energy and best wishes from Bend for a speedy recovery.

9. Jonathan Maus / BikePortland.org June 2, 2009 at 7:58 AM # Reply

so sorry to hear about this. thinking very good thoughts and please let me know how I can help.

if there are fundraisers/events/etc… i can help spread the word and get involved.

stay strong Clint.

best regards.

10. uma June 2, 2009 at 8:25 AM # Reply

Thinking of Kristin, the team, friends and loved ones. The waiting is the hardest part. She is surrounded by such a caring team, she will be right as rain in no time, I’m sure.

11. Mark June 2, 2009 at 8:30 AM # Reply

Fingers crossed for a fast, full recovery.

12. Jon Ragsdale June 2, 2009 at 8:32 AM # Reply

Best wishes for a full and speedy recovery!!!!!

13. Matt James/Portland Velo June 2, 2009 at 8:33 AM # Reply

Seeing someone laying on the ground last night puts things into perspective. Hope Kristin has a speedy recovery and comes back stronger than ever!

14. Katy June 2, 2009 at 8:40 AM # Reply

Heard about the crash after my novice women’s race last night. Prayers and thoughts out to Kristin.

15. Justin La Vigne June 2, 2009 at 8:53 AM # Reply

Get well soon, Kristin.

16. Margi June 2, 2009 at 8:57 AM # Reply

My heart goes out to her and her family. I couldn’t sleep last night. In the final sprint of the race, out of the corner of my eye, I saw Kristen’s head bounce on the pavement. I will never forget it. It makes me sick to think about it. I hope to god she is okay.

Lots well wishes from the Bridgetown Velo team.

Margi

17. Meg M June 2, 2009 at 9:02 AM # Reply

Sending love, prayers, and all my good energy for a speedy recovery.

18. erin g June 2, 2009 at 9:10 AM # Reply

Sending warmth, encouragement and healing thoughts to Kristin, her family and loved ones. Such a strong, focused and spectacular person will be better and back out there before we know it! Thank you so much for these updates

19. Daryl Hemenway June 2, 2009 at 9:48 AM # Reply

Many wishes and thoughts for a quick recovery, Kristin!

20. Traci D'Elia June 2, 2009 at 10:33 AM # Reply

Continued wishes for a speedy & full recovery!

21. Heidi Swift June 2, 2009 at 10:38 AM # Reply

Whew. SO glad to see the second update. Thanks for keeping us in the loop, Dave.

22. Beth June 2, 2009 at 10:39 AM # Reply

Kristin! You are one amazingly strong woman. Please know how much love and support are embracing you right now. Sending many prayers for strength and a rapid recovery.

23. Candi June 2, 2009 at 10:48 AM # Reply

Kristen work up late last night. They extabated (removed breathing tube) and started to decrease her sedation. Last night she showed a 1 cm bleed on her cerebellum. The repeat cat scan shows some decrease and they are calling it a ‘bruise’ to Clint today. She is sitting up and they hope to move her out of icu later today. She remembers the race but not much else which is to be expected.
    When the doctor called he said that you do not see this in trauma patients- the rapidness of someone that had been so unresponsive.
    The ortho doc said she could have the clavicle operated on or not – she had 2 breaks there.And a fracture of her nose And the plastic surgery people fixed the degloving injury on her ear lac late last night also.
    Very good news.
    Candi

24. Scott June 2, 2009 at 10:51 AM # Reply

I’m so glad to hear she is doing better. I hope she continues down the road to a speedy recovery. Its never easy seeing anyone crash. Like it was said above, no matter what kit you wear, it is always so great to see the love and compassion we all have for each other when one of your fellow family of riders is down. My thoughts are with you Kristin and I have no doubt you’ll be back and stronger in no time.

25. Ben Hickman / BBC June 2, 2009 at 11:00 AM # Reply

Get well Kristin! After riding by the wreck last night, we are thinking of you. Very glad to hear you are recovering.

26. Hammer Velo Gang June 2, 2009 at 11:29 AM # Reply

Great to hear things are improving for Kristin…
    We have some suprises in store for you when you are up and going again…We are all thinking good thoughts, and sending a speedy recovery your way…
    Take care,
    Jeff

27. Sarah T June 2, 2009 at 11:53 AM # Reply

Hang in there Kristin! All good thoughts for you and yours.

Sarah

28. JJ and Lynn June 2, 2009 at 12:26 PM # Reply

This is JJ and Lynn from the old Cafe: Hope you get better.

29. Lisa Reeve June 2, 2009 at 12:37 PM # Reply

Kristen you are in my thoughts, I wish you a quick recovery and can’t wait to see you back racing.

30. GründelBrüiser Geoff June 2, 2009 at 12:41 PM # Reply

Damn, girl. will you please stop making the rest of us look like such a bunch of wussies? Hang tough, and if you want to do some really slow rides when you get out of there, we’re good at those.
    Get well, and if there’s anything we can do for you, don’t hesitate to ask.
    –GR and Team GründelBrüisers/Stewie

31. Mel June 2, 2009 at 12:42 PM # Reply

The Rathe family wishes you a speedy recovery. I’m sending you all the good energy I can!!! Take care;)

32. Lynn and JJ June 2, 2009 at 1:27 PM # Reply

OMG, we just heard about this. We’re sorta-friends of Kristin from when she was a barista @ Caffe Pallino and have kept tabs on her cycling “career,” or is that “careering,” and are so upset to hear this. Please put up the Paypal link soon, and keep getting better, Kristin.

33. Matt Gilman/Capitol Velo June 2, 2009 at 1:30 PM # Reply

Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

34. Camille Hook June 2, 2009 at 1:54 PM # Reply

Kristin!
    i hope you continue recovering quickly and i cant wait to see you up and about again :-)thinking of you! let me know if i can do anything to help

Camille x

35. Chip June 2, 2009 at 2:00 PM # Reply

Please heal up just as fast as you ride. Seriously, get to it so we can see you back out there racing with us soon. The whole team is sending German love your way.

36. MattD - Portland Velo June 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM # Reply

Stay strong girl! We wish you a speedy recovery!

37. Alana June 2, 2009 at 2:12 PM # Reply

Wishing you a fast recovery! My thoughts are with you and your loved ones.

38. Danny June 2, 2009 at 2:34 PM # Reply

Wishing you a speedy recovery and all the best.

39. Sharon Anderson Sandoval June 2, 2009 at 2:53 PM # Reply

Jose and I are sending some serious positive mojo your way! You know anything you need..just ask and it will be done.

I wanted to send an extra big thank you to Dave, Candi and Mike for the dedication, support and love you have for this crazy extended family we have.

BEEEEER!!!!!

40. Roni June 2, 2009 at 3:38 PM # Reply

We love you, girl! The Dow labs just aren’t the same without you :(

41. Kay - Poplollies June 2, 2009 at 3:59 PM # Reply

Kristin,
    We are sending positive healing thoughts your way. Looking forward to seeing you on your bike again.

Take Care.

42. Monika McCarthy June 2, 2009 at 4:48 PM # Reply

I just wanted to thank all of Kristin’s extended family for supporting her during this time. She’s very lucky to have such a wonderful support group.
    I love my sister and wished we lived nearer to each other.

43. ChrisB June 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM # Reply

So glad to hear you are showing signs of improvement already. Hope to see you back in action soon. Take your time w/ the healing.

44. Jason Buter-Brown Existential Velo June 2, 2009 at 8:05 PM # Reply

Peace, healing, and love to you and your family. Looking forward to having you back on the bike and off the front again.

45. Jose "brujo" Sandoval June 2, 2009 at 8:27 PM # Reply

Team Cthulhu is wishing you a speedy recovery. Let us know if we can do anything. brutal oxo!!!

46. James Buckroyd June 2, 2009 at 8:41 PM # Reply

Best speedy recovery wishes for Kristin.
    Regards to Clint and her family.

Yakima Bike Vigilantes

47. ian June 2, 2009 at 9:59 PM # Reply

oh man. sending good thoughts.

48. Heather VanValkenburg June 2, 2009 at 10:00 PM # Reply

Kristin-

I thought about you a lot today. I’m so relieved to know you’re making such a quick recovery. Let’s hook up for a ride in the future. This time, we won’t cuddle though!

If you’re interested in knowing how it/we went down (literally), email me.

49. Zan June 2, 2009 at 10:01 PM # Reply

All my support to you, your family, and your team. Myself and all of Sorella Forte are thinking of you and wishing you the best.

50. Ken Lee June 2, 2009 at 10:02 PM # Reply

Kristin:

I’m with the rest of OBRA and wish you a speedy recovery. You can email me with any questions you may have on getting the collarbone plate. Don’t worry about getting through airports if you get one, though–it usually moves you right to the front of the line. ;=)

51. Brian June 2, 2009 at 10:17 PM # Reply

Though I don’t know you, but knowing the character of Ironclad and OBRA it’s a truly amazing group. I wish you a speedy recovery.

52. Jill June 3, 2009 at 8:32 AM # Reply

Kristin, The TAI women’s team wishes you a speedy and solid recovery!

53. Nancy O'Connor June 4, 2009 at 9:58 AM # Reply

All our hopes for a speedy recovery Kristen !
    We will be pulling for you –
    The O’Connor Family

54. Siv and Gene Spurgeon June 4, 2009 at 5:23 PM # Reply

Dear Kristin,

We wish you all the best and hope your recovery is quick. We’re thinking of you and love you!

Siv, Gene, Berit, David and Allison

55. terry mccarthy June 10, 2009 at 4:57 PM # Reply

Dear Kristen,

You have always had a great spirit and determination.
    That spirit and the additional energy from your family and friends will lead you through to a complete recovery. We can’t wait to see that happen and to hear about your new bike and next race. Go KMac!
    Terry and Sandie Mccarthy

56. Greg Warner June 11, 2009 at 2:27 PM # Reply

All the members of the Ten Guys Named Alex team wishing you a speedy recovery.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. Bier en modder » Pound of flesh redux - June 2, 2009

[...] has an update here.  Good luck to her and her family.  I hope she recovers [...]

2. The Year In Review » Ironclad Performance Wear Cycling Team - December 10, 2009

[...] course, we had our horrific luck come to port in the shape of Kristin’s horrible crash, and Kira’s cancer, but as a team we persevered through all that bad luck and turned in some [...]

3. Beardsley wins PIR Tuesday race; Ironclad supports hospitalized teammate - Oregon Cycling Action - March 26, 2011

[...] first two laps of the Cat. 3/4 race in a show of solidarity with teammate Kristin McCarthy, who was hospitalized with serious injuries she suffered in a crash in the women’s race Monday [...]